Our Life Together

Rexburg, ID, United States
We've been married for 5 years! We met here in Rexburg, Idaho where we lived in the same apartment complex, volunteered with similar church callings, and attended the same university. It was only a matter of time before we'd bump into each other! Kelly graduated with her bachelors in psychology and has since been working with mentally ill adults and children. She has been accepted to Drexel Univeristy for her Masters in Higher Education Administration and Organizational Management. Sam recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho with his bachelors in English Literature. We've had so much fun and so many growing experiences in the past 5 years, and have weathered so much good and bad during our young marriage. And we love each other so much more as a result of the happy and sad experiences that we have gone through hand in hand with each other and with the Savior. Our life is a simple one, but it's ours and we're glad to have it.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

April-July 2010

Hey Everyone! So here's a little catch up from the past few months ;) Sam and I celebrated a nice 27th birthday for him in April! We caught a movie, had some yummy dinner, and Sam bought himself some bass guitar equipment.

In May Sam and I celebrated his 2 year anniversary of being a successful transplant recipient! It is crazy to think that two years has gone by, and it is wonderful to see how far Sam has come emotionally and physically! I am very proud of you honey.

In June I crossed a milestone...from my 20s to my 30s!!! We celebrated by heading down to Logan, Utah. We did a little exploring of the town, I took pics of the beautiful Logan temple, we had dinner at Sizzlers, watched Toy Story 3 with our friends the Floyds, and stayed the night at the Hilton. It was such a nice day, and I think I entered my 30s on a high note :)

Speaking of which, I had set several goals for myself to accomplish by my 30th, starting from December 25th to my birthday on June 25th, and here's a report of my progress:

1) One goal was to be 130 by the time I reached 30. I didn't get to there but I am happy to say that I have made some weight loss progress as well as strength training. I joined a gym in April and I have been implementing weights in with my cardio. (Actually, I love doing weights and loathe cardio). So since April I have noticed that I have increased the amount of weight I use. With the seated row I have gone from 30 to 50 lbs. With the lateral chest machine I have gone from 26 pounds to 36 pounds. With the leg sled I have gone from 130/150 lbs to 190 lbs. I am still working on dropping weight, but now with more of a focus on body fat percentage, as well as incorporating a healthier diet. So I'm not there yet, but I'm still working on it!

2) Socializing with friends at least 1x per month. Yes, I have accomplished this goal! I've been having a girls night with two of my friends from church, hanging out with another friend from church at our homes, and have begun playing tennis 1x per week with another friend whom I met from school, and whom Sam grew up with back in Colorado. We're having another girls night this week to go watch Eclipse.

3) Rock climbing wall. So I am afraid of heights and wanted to challenge myself in this way. I did call about rock climbing but you need to have a...I can't think of the word, like a spotter, but Sam wasn't able to go with me the night I had planned, and I just never got around to doing this! So, my new goal is to do this by Christmas!

4) Writing 20 pages of my book and learning 100 words of Spanish or Sign Language. Yeah...this didn't happen.

5) Reading all of the November Conference issue Ensign before the April Conference. I did really well with this goal and read the majority of the talks, which I had never done before. Since I didn't finish it all, my new goal is to finish it by this October conference, as well as the May Conference Ensign.

6) Attending the temple 2x a month. From January through April, I was averaging about 1x a month, once I made it 2x in a month. From May to now I haven't done well, so I have reset my goal to attend the temple every other Saturday, and eventually to every Saturday.

7) This wasn't an original goal, but I decided that I HAD to have a pedicure before my 30th since I had never had a professional one done before. And I did :)

I am happy for the progress I have made, and look forward to continuing to challenge myself in this way. I don't want the years to just blend in, and so I like the idea of setting a few goals for myself to accomplish every 6 months, so that each year I can look back and see how I have hopefully become a better person in some way.

In July, Sam GRADUATED with his Bachelors of Arts in English Literature. Sam, I am so proud of you for persevering!!! You served God by becoming a missionary and postponing your schooling for 2 years. And then you went and pursued your education. You experienced a terrible ordeal being diagnosed with kidney disease, dialysis, a transplant, and all of the side effects of your medication, and had to postpone your education again for another year. And then yet again you went back and pursued your education. Thank you for your perseverance and dedication Sam! You are a blessing in my life and in our family! And CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve it!

We celebrated by watching Inception at the theatre, buying Sam new clothes, a watch, and his mom and dad hooked him up with a PS3 and my mom hooked him up with some PS3 games. Thanks everyone!


1 comment:

Shannon said...

You're writing a book? That's awesome!

Seems like yall have had a wonderful summer time. Hope this fall continues to be grand!